Is this a Kissing Bug?
Location: Carbondale, IL
I’ve lived in Brasil for awhile and there I saw this bug once before, but it looked a little different.
I found this bug in a clothing hamper in Southern IL.
Also – if once suspects having the Chagas disease, how can you be tested to find out?
Signature: – Alais de Hoogh

Eastern Bloodsucking Conenose Bug

Hi Alais,
This is an Eastern Bloodsucking Conenose Bug,
Triatoma sanguisuga, and members of the genus are frequently called Kissing Bugs because they bite sleeping individuals on the lips.  According to BugGuide:  “Natural habitat is nests of small mammals. Sometimes invades houses” and “Sometimes bites humans, and the bite may be severe, causing an allergic reaction.”  Of the entire genus, BugGuide indicates:  “Bite can cause severe allergic reaction in many humans. Bite and defecation into bite can transmit Chagas disease, caused by Trypanosoma cruzi, a protozoan. The most notorious vector is T. infestans, found in South America. The North American species are not normally thought to transmit the disease, though they can carry the parasite. (The North American species do not normally defecate at the site of the bite, which is what actually transmits the parasite.”  We do not give medical advice and if you suspect Chagas Disease, you should seek professional medical attention.  Your physician should be able to provide information on testing for Chagas Disease.

Location: Illinois