Unknown Insect
Location: San Antonio, TX, United States
December 12, 2010 2:24 am
Hi. I found this insect near a wooded area where I work. It was dead when I found it, unfortunately. Extremely coincidentally, my wife also found one in our own backyard the other day! I have never seen insects like these, and I thought how rare it could be for me to find 2. Any help identifying what type of insect it is would be most appreciated. I tried researching on my own and only came up with it has a head/snout similar to a weevil. Thanks in advance.
Signature: John C

Wheel Bug

Hi John,
This is a Wheel Bug and it is the largest Assassin Bug in North America.

Thank you very much for that incredibly quick response! Having the name was the key that I needed to unlock all the information about this insect, because before, I was searching for it based on its description. I just read the whole Wikipedia page on it and some info on other sites. I wonder if I’ll ever see one alive in the wild? The info did mention that it is shy (yet vicious, an odd combo). Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Thanks again. P.S. Do you have any suggestions for containment of my two specimens? I know people put dead butterflies on pins, but I’d rather not impale them (for fear of them breaking). I was thinking of getting a cheap small clear plastic box or something, maybe Hobby Lobby would have it, to display them (yes, might be weird, but I’m just so fascinated by this insect as neither my wife nor I or any of my family have EVER seen a creature such as this). My wife suggested a container with alcohol. Any ideas?

Hi again John,
We would not recommend putting a pin through an already dried insect.  Many hobby shops have display cases that contain a cottony substance.  Alcohol is not used for hard bodied insect preservation.  They will last for many years provided they are kept safe from Dermestids and other creatures that damage museum collections.

Excellent! Thank you very much for your help. I’ll be sure to use whatsthatbug.com again if ever I come across an unidentified insect. Thanks again.

Location: texas