Strange bug in NSW Australia
Location: Central NSW, Australia
i found this weird burrowing insect in central NSW, i think its some kind of Weta but cant find any useful information.
please help me identify it
Signature: Australian Weta’s??

Weta, we believe

We are inclined to agree with you on both counts.  We also believe this is probably some species of Weta, a group of insects endemic to New Zealand, but with close relatives in South Africa as well as Australia whose closest North American relatives are the Potato Bugs of the west, especially the arid southwest.  We also agree that it is quite difficult to find out information on the Australian relatives and that New Zealand promotes these endangered insects like the Royal Society of Biological Sciences website.  The long ovipositor indicates she is a female.  We will contact Piotr Naskrecki, who specializes in Katydids, to see if he can provide any information.

Weta, we believe

I actually have another question about the bug that i was hoping you could help me with, being a Ground Weta would the hole i found the bug in be its home or could the weta actually be laying eggs?.
thanks for the help i found it to be very useful, now that i have a better idea of what the bug is it will be interesting to keep an eye on it and see how it lives in its environment. The area i found the Weta in is a popular place for New Zealand workers and their families so it is possible that the Weta could have come over to Australia from New Zealand.

Hi again,
We would hazard a guess that this is a burrow that might be used to house a clutch of eggs as well.  We are still waiting for a response from Piotr Naskrecki regarding the creature’s identity.

Location: Australia