what kind of bug is this?
Location: Pomona, california
As of 12/7/10, my brother found this bug right outside of our garage this morning, we are in southern california on the boarder of LA county and San Bernardino county. I was freaked out by this and went and googled this picture and read something about the Jerusalem Cricket that sounds like the same description as this. Could you let me know if this could be something else or it is the infamous Jerusalem Criket? does it do any harm at all?
Signature: signed

Potato Bug: AKA Jerusalem Cricket

Dear Signed,
You are correct.  This is a Jerusalem Cricket or Potato Bug, though it also have other names.  It is a harmless subterranean dweller that emerges when there is a soaking rain, hence the countless identification requests we have received since the rain in Southern California Sunday night.  If carelessly handled, the Potato Bug might bite with its strong jaws, but it is not dangerous since it lacks venom.

Thank you so much for your kind explaination! greatly appreciate it!
Nicole