Another mouth to feed?
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, 33705
Your site is great & the most informative I’ve founf so far. I found this guy scurrying across the living room tonight, hope you can help. The photos on your site that come closest are I.D. as immature roaches. I sure hope this isn’t the case, but I need to know in order to proceed. It is approx 3/4” long & 1/2” wide.
Thanks, Steve
Signature: Swamp Critter Steve

Australian Cockroach Nymph, probably

Dear Steve,
In our opinion, your Cockroach Nymph looks the most like the Australian Cockroach Nymph,
Periplaneta australasiae, that is pictured on bugGuide. On the information page for the species, BugGuide indicates:  “Immature Australian cockroaches are considerably more ornate than nymphs of other Periplaneta species found in North America and “They are scavengers, they feed on almost everything” and that they are a “A nocturnal species that favours tropical and subtropical climates.” They are in the same genus as the American Cockroach, a misnomer since the species is believed to have originated in Africa and then transported to the new world on slave ships according to BugGuide. Of the Australian Cockroach, according to the Oz Animals website, in Australia  “They are pest in households. This is a common pest in homes and can transmit disease by contaminating food. The name is misleading as they are an introduced species from Asia.”  The same assessment probably holds in North America.

Australian Cockroach Nymph

Location: Florida