What is this cocoon?
Location: Australia, New south wales
December 1, 2010 6:23 am
Yo bugman, well i live in australia new south wales and have lived here all my life and never seen this insect before its currently a cocoon, that is yellow with black spikes i found it on a spinach leaf from my garden, i was wondering if you could give me some insight into what it might be and if it could be dangerous to me or my garden.
Signature: Wade.

Black Jezabel Chrysalis

Hi Wade,
This appears to be a Butterfly Chrysalis, but we need to research the species.

Identified as Jezabel Chrysalis by Keith Wolfe
Gidday Wade and Daniel,
This unmistakable pupa is that of Delias, one of the so-called Jezebels — almost certainly D. nigrina, if memory serves me correctly.  I’ll write a bit more about these most interesting butterflies after I return home later today.
Best wishes,
Keith Wolfe

Thanks so much Keith.  Your comments are always valued contributions.  The Brisbane Insect website has a nice photo of the chrysalis of the Common Jezabel, Delias nigrina, and the Australian Caterpillar website also has confirming photographs.

Karl also supplies the identification
Hi Daniel and Wade:
It appears to be the chrysalis of a Black Jezabel (also Common Jezabel), Delias nigrina (Pieridae: Pierinae).  It ranges along the east coast of Australia from Queensland to Victoria. The caterpillars feed on a variety of mistletoes. If Google Translate works for you, you can see a really nice series of photos here, of an adult emerging from its chrysalis.  Regards. Karl

More information from Keith Wolfe
December 4, 2010
Hello again, Wade.  Regarding “dangerous to me or my garden”, the answer is a definite NO — unless you or those dear have a craving for caterpillar/chrysalis cuisine.  The highly gregarious larvae (group repellent defense) and aposematic pupae and adults (warningly colored) of Jezebels presumably advertise their unpalatability to vertebrate predators, the toxins being derived from the mistletoe plants that caterpillars eat.  Mistletoes typically grow in the upper reaches of host trees where the eggs are laid and hatchlings develop, with fully mature individuals often descending to lower levels a month or so later to pupate.  Depending upon ambient conditions and larval luck, you should be treated to a beautiful Black Jezebel butterfly in the days ahead.
Hope this helps, Wade.  Hooroo mate!

Location: Australia

4 Responses to Black Jezabel Chrysalis from Australia

1. wadej347 says:

Thanks so much Daniel and Kieth, i have seen these butterfly`s many times before, but this is the first time i have seen the chrysalis let`s hope theres not a wasp in mine like that link says so i can get a picture when it emerges.

Thanks so much Wade. If you get a photo of the adult Black Jezebel, please include its name in the subject line if you decide to send it to us.

2. wadej347 says:

will do! it is so so close to emerging can see all colors from its wings and body through the chrysalis changing every time i look at it. ill post 1 up of it now before it “hatches”.

3. […] us this better focused image of your Black Jezebel Chrysalis.  It is a nice accompaniment to your earlier email.  It is marvelous the way the coloration begins to show just prior to emergence. 0   I […]