Is this a bristle fly
Location: Healesville, Victoria Australia
Hello Bugman, I believe this is a bristle fly going on the photos I’ve seen here. This is only the second of these flies I’ve ever seen here after 13 years of living in the area. It was seen in Healesville, Victoria, Australia on Nov 29th 2010, that’s just a couple of days before Summer.
Signature: Linda

Bristle Fly

Hi Linda,
The first time we posted a photo of this distinctive fly in 2007, we posted it as an unidentified Tachinid Fly.  In 2009, we posted another image, still unidentified, and we eventually learned it is
Amphibolia vidua and the common name Bristle Fly is used for the family Tachinidae, the Tachinid Flies.  You are correct in calling your individual a Bristle Fly.

Bristle Fly

would you like some more photos for your files?  I tried to put them on yesterday but they were all too big.  I’m happy to email them to you if you want them.
Just to give you some more information-  I’ve seen one of these flies once before here, about 5 years ago, it was very sluggish and divebombed me, and in my panic I swatted and killed it.  The black shape on the rump (do flies have rumps?)  was very slightly different to this one, it was a perfect heart shape.  I assume they are the same type of fly and there’s just a bit of individual variation.
Thanks so much for getting back to me, your site is fantastic!
Linda Meerman

Bristle Fly

Thanks for the additional information and photos.

Location: Australia

12 Responses to Bristle Fly from Australia: Amphibolia vidua

1. Drhoz says:

The CSIRO’s giant tomes “The Insects of Australia” has a colour plate with one of these – but gives it as Formosia speciosa. Annoyingly, I can find no other mention of the species or genus online :/

2. Drhoz says:

d’oh – I shouldn’t have said “other mention online” should have I? Yes, it is actual printed media – a double volume of immense value to Australian entomologists

3. Scott Charnley says:

i have found one of these flies today in Mount Barker Western Australia

4. Marcia Millard says:

I have seen and photographed one of these flys today, 30/12/2017 at Eggs and Bacon Bay, Tasmania

5. Colin Vincent says:

In reply to bugman:
    Reference to Formosia speciosa does indeed exist online. Formosia (Euamphibolia) speciosa, in one instance, and Google search for that reveals several more Australian sources. It may have once been treated as the same species, Idk, but is now classified as a different Genus to Amphibolia vidua. In some ways they look similar, but not the same.

6. CCV says:

General question;
    Is it necessary subscribe in order to be able to post comments here?

No, but we update comments daily and our editorial staff approves all comments to ensure there is nothing inappropriate.
      Thanks for your research regarding this posting.

• CCV says:

Thanks bugman, I thought it seemed not. A couple of unregistered posts only disappeared into the ether tho.. While registered posts remain, ‘awaiting moderation’. Oh, and.. I didn’t do much research for this posting, but I do a fair bit for my own interests anyway – which is specifically in Tasmanian species. Cheers.