Wasp?
Location: Near Marmaris in Turkey
November 22, 2010 6:06 am
I was in Turkey and came upon this little fella. I guess at a wasp, but maybe you could clarify?
Signature: Katie

Oriental Hornet

Hi Katie,
We tried unsuccessfully to identify your Paper Wasp in the genus
Polistes to the species level.

Correction: November 28, 2010
Hi Daniel:
This looks like an Oriental Hornet, Vespa orientalis (Vespidae: Vespinae). The species ranges from southeast Europe and north Africa, across east and central Asia to India and Nepal.  It has also been introduced accidentally to China, Mexico and possibly parts of South America. There are lots of online photos but I was drawn to a site with an interesting (and curious) accompanying article about “Thermoelectric Effect in Hornet Silk and Thermoregulation in Hornet’s Nest”. Regards.  Karl

Thanks for correcting this glaringly incorrect identification Karl.  We dismissed the European Hornet as a possibility and jumped straight to trying to identify Polistes species.

Location: Turkey

5 Responses to Oriental Hornet from Turkey

1. Ben says:

Hi Katie,
    This is an oriental hornet, Vespa orientalis. Very common all over the middle-east. It is attracted to sweet foods (fruit, jam, etc.) and meat.
    It’s usually harmless and will ignore you if you ignore it. In all my many years of hiking in Israel, I have witnessed only a couple sting incidents. The sting is painful and causes local swelling, which will go down after a couple hours.
    I suggest you stay well clear of them if you are allergic to bee stings, but otherwise, no reason to panic.

2. anthony ney says:

Just had a turkish hornet(looked in bad shape) land on the wifes hair in side/antalya area just thought I’d update for locating reasons. Left him on a shaded plant hopefully he regains himself

3. bonita says:

In bodrum at moment….
    I had a wood wasp sting & terrible pains shoot across my chest. Hard lump & swelling. Scary!!!

4. Edward Holloway says:

I just got stung here in Kandahar Afghanistan by the same hornet.My fingers are swollen and in a lot of pain. It was a burning sensation when I first got stung I have it on ice to keep the swelling down.

5. Princess says:

I’m sitting on a yacht in Marmaris, when this thick red Bee wannabe thingy decides to land on my thigh.

I screamed so loud, without daring to move, that the Turkish boy beside me gave me such a look of disgust.