Saudi Beetle

Unknown Jewel Beetle

Saudi Beetle
Location: Khamis Mushayt/Abha, Saudi Arabia
November 27, 2010 5:17 am
My coworkers and I found this outside our shop and were wanting to know what this is, we have seen many bugs before and this is a new one. Its about 2 inches long, iridescent, large eyes, short antaneeas, and yellow and black stripes on the underside. It was found in Khamis Mushayt/Abha Region of Saudi Arabia.
Signature: Jeremy

Unknown Jewel Beetle

Hi Jeremy,
This is a Metallic Wood Boring Beetle or Jewel Beetle in the family Buprestidae.  We will try to do additional research to see if we are able to provide a species identification as well.

Unknown Jewel Beetle

Update: November 28, 2010
Hi Daniel:
I found a little time today so I though I would catch up on my favourite website.  I think this is another one of those large and spectacular Jewel Beetles in the genus Steraspis (Buprestidae: Chrysochroinae). I believe this one is probably Steraspis speciosa. Except for the colour, it is quite similar to S. squamosa that appeared on WTB? on September 7, 2010. In response to that posting I provided a link to an excellent paper by Gianfranco Curletti (2009), which provides numerous excellent photos and an identification key in English (unfortunately the rest of the paper is in Italian). Using Jeremy’s excellent photos I was able to follow the key to S. speciosa arabica (look for Figure 11 at the end of the paper), which appears to be endemic to the Arabian Peninsula. The closely related S. speciosa speciosa occurs across Saharan Africa in is a vivid green.  Regards.  Karl

Thanks so much for all your extensive research Karl.

Location: Saudi Arabia