STRANGE little bug
Location: Big South Fork, Tennessee….on a rock overlook
November 27, 2010 1:07 am
I’ve a couple local bug experts try to identify this little guy and they are stumped. I took this picture of this bug crawling along on a sunny morning after a cool night around freezing temps in the month of October in Tennessee in the Big South Fork. If you zoom up on it, you’ll just see a mix of organic, strange looking shapes that don’t seems to show anything recognizable. Belive me, it was a bug crawling along. It was very small at a quarter inch or less in size.
Signature: maxpatch67

Lacewing Larva

Hi maxpatch67,
This is the larva of a Lacewing, sometimes called an Aphid Wolf.  Many predatory Lacewing Larvae cover themselves with debris, including the carcasses of prey, to help protect and camouflage themselves.  If you look closely on the left side of the the creature, you can make out its mandibles protruding from beneath the cover of debris.

Location: Tennessee