HUGE Spider
Location: Guangzhou, South China
November 27, 2010 11:17 am
Joe writing from South China. I assume you’ve been busy as I didn’t get a reply to my last question, but I’ve since found out it was a Bedstraw Hawkmoth caterpillar.
Any idea what this monster is? Is he dangerous?!
Signature: Joe

Huntsman Spider

Hi Joe,
This is a Huntsman Spider,
Heteropoda venatoria, or a very closely related species.  Because this species has increased its range worldwide by stowing away on banana shipments, it is commonly found in port cities with warmer climates worldwide.  We have read conflicting information on its actual region of origin.  Some sources claim Asia and others Central America, but since the banana is originally from Asia, it is possible that the Huntsman Spider had already become naturalized in Central America during the heyday of the cultivation of bananas, after having been originally introduced when the plants were transported from Asia.

Location: China

One Response to Huntsman Spider from China

1. Jill Konzel says:

I lived in Xiamen China which is a port city across the waters from Taiwan. I had this spider in my house regularly! It actually did kill my daughters pet rabbit. Thank goodness we were never bit but constantly checking for them!