Steel GREEN Cricket Hunter Wasp!?
Location: Palm Springs 2009
This steel blue cricket hunter wasp was found and caught at palm springs 2009. Its hard to see in the photo, but it is bright green. I cant find any kind of wasp like it on the internet or my bug book. I want to know if it is a new species, a mutation, a perfectly normal wasp defect, or just another kind of wasp.
Signature: -Aidan

Cricket Hunter

Hi Aidan,
We located an image on BugGuide of a Cricket Hunter in the genus
Chlorion that is a green color.  The genus page on BugGuide provides this information:  “Dr Ascher’s comments:  …Note greenish or purplish color of many Chlorion vs. blue in Chalybion. The shape of the pronotoum is more strongly notched in Chalybion; …the head of Chlorion is broader.”   We will check with Eric Eaton to confirm the identification of this Thread Waisted Wasp in the genus Chlorion, probably Chlorion aerarium.

5 Responses to Cricket Hunter

1. mmdrr says:

I live in west Virginia and I have seen these every where around my house!

2. bobwasp says:

i see them all over North Carolina

3. Deano says:

I just found one of these blue ones flying with a dead cricket here in Toledo, Ohio.

4. Owen says:

I just found one in Las Vegas Nv. I’m 48 years old and very well educated on insects of the SNEVER outhwest. I have NEVER seen these here befor. It was extremely aggressive toward me.

Mean little basterds.

5. Toni says:

I just found one of these by my garage in a dry, rural area by Riverside, Cal.
    It’s a distinctive blue-purple, nearly black metallic. I’ve lived here twenty-five years and I’ve never seen it before.