Scorpion looking thing.
Location: Monee IL
Hi Bugman. This is the 3rd one of these little guys i have found in my bathroom it has always been on the wall. he is no bigger than 4mm total. He looks kinda scary but im sure he’s harmless. Thanks for your help.
Signature: Brian

Pseudoscorpion

Dear Brian,
The Pseudoscorpion got its name because it looks like a Scorpion, but it is not a Scorpion.  It has no stinger nor does it have venom.  You are correct that it is harmless.  Pseudoscorpions are able to capture large prey with those animatronic-like pedipalps.  Pseudoscorpions are also capable of phoresy, an activity by which they hitch rides of off other creatures, often flying creatures.  We have numerous images in our archives of Pseudoscorpions engaging in phoresy.

Location: Illinois

9 Responses to Pseudoscorpion

1. happco says:

I found 2 in my bed, I live in central ab. Canada, how did I get them? Only new foreign object is a house plant.

2. shirly says:

I found one in my house in Minnesota where do these typicaly live?

Most of our reports come from the northern parts of North America, like Minnesota, and most of our reports are interior sightings, like yours.

3. Tyrone says:

I found one in my nose?? I woke up one morning knew some thing was different blew my nose and this came out

4. Levi says:

found one in Alaska, if it is not a scorpion then is it a spider or a mite?

None of the above. They are Arachnids in the class Arachnida, as are all Spider, Scorpions and Mites, but they are further classified in their own order, Pseudoscorpiones. See BugGuide for a breakdown of the different orders within the class.

5. Sean says:

Found one on the side of my son’s tent after he came home from Tahosa Boy Scout Camp today (near Ward, Colorado). I thought it was a tic, but it had these long pincer things, and I thought, yikes tics are evolving. Killed it and photographed it under a loop, then found this fabulous website, and now know the truth.