gorgeous spider
Location: Eastern Long Island, NY
My teacher found a spider with a reddish coral colored body (cephalothorax), red and white/clear striped legs, and a black and yellow abdomen that looks like a Rorschach test. The spider was about .5 inch long.
Signature: spider nerd

Marbled Orbweaver

Dear spider nerd,
Sometimes we go back a ways through unanswered mail to find an interesting letter to post, and today we happened upon your lovely image of a highly variable Marbled Orbweaver,
Araneus marmoreus.  This is only one possible color combination, but it is a distinctive one.  You can compare your photo to this image posted to BugGuide.

Location: New York

6 Responses to Marbled Orbweaver

1. I just found one of these in my cottage in Trufant, Michigan. Very pretty.

2. Debra says:

Just found one on a leaf on a tree in my front yard, York county Pennsylvania!

3. Judy Dayhoff says:

One has spun a web between the house and the kayaks. We’re in Sussex County Delaware.

4. AMANDA Lombardo says:

I’s this spider possible to be in the South and is it poisons?

BugGuide data does indicate sightings in the south. Though venomous, the bite of a Marbled Orbweaver is not considered dangerous to a human and it will likely only cause localized discomfort and swelling.

5. Judy Dayhoff says:

We had to move the kayaks for construction so we relocated her/him to a tree. She/He went to the very top and wove another web. Seems happier in new home.