Weird bug!!
November 17, 2010
Found on 11/16/2010 in Superior,WI. I’m not sure what it is and have never seen anything like this in my life before!! I have a 7 month old daughter and I’m very concerned there could be more and could be harmful to her? Please help!!
Sent from my iPhone

Earwig

What a beautiful image of an Earwig.  They are not considered dangerous, however, Earwigs often seek out enclosed, dark places for security.  The name Earwig is allegedly derived from the Anglo-Saxon word earwicga, which according to Charles Hogue in Insects of the Los Angeles Basin, refers to the notion that the Anglo-Saxons slept in sod huts with straw mattresses and “the warm and tight ear opening of a slumbering person might well have been a snug hiding place for these crevice-loving creatures.”  We can imagine an Aryan giant leaping to his feet screaming “earwicga” after an Earwig ventured toward his eardrum.  Earwigs, especially male Earwigs, have forceps at the end of the abdomen that can pinch lightly.

Location: Wisconsin