cave invertebrates

Unidentified Cave Cockroach from the Philippines #1

Location: Lanao del Norte, Philippines
November 15, 2010 1:12 am
i would like to ask a help to identify these specimen. i collected these invertebrates from the cave in the Philippines. i find it hard to identify them because i have no standard taxonomic keys and other references. Please kindly help me because they are needed to be identify for my thesis. I hope for your help, as soon as possible. Thank you for your consideration.
Signature: immediately

Unidentified Cave Cockroach from the Philippines #2

These invertebrates are needed to be identify for my thesis. Please, kindly help me. I hope i could have the answers as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your cooperation.
Signature: immediately

Unidentified Cave Cockroach from the Philippines #3

Dear immediately,
While we sympathize with your thesis dilemma, we have an ethical issue with doing your homework.  We know that researching and writing is very labor intense, but this thesis is your research project and you need to do the research.  You have submitted 9 images that you want us to identify and you have indicated that this is critical information for your project, yet you will get credit for the thesis without doing the necessary research work.  Six of nine images you submitted are Cockroaches and they represent several different species, though it appears some may be nymphs and adults of the same species.

Unidentified Cave Cockroach from the Philippines #4

It would probably take us many hours to properly identify all of your Cockroaches, and even then we may not be able to provide conclusive identifications.  We did find this comment posted on a Cockroaches of the Philippines web page:  “Oh and by the way there are several species of roaches found in the philippines and some of them are worth a fortune abroad but most of these species do not dwell ion human homes”.

Unidentified Cave Cockroach from the Philippines #5

Dear whatsthatbug.com,
First, I would like to say thank you for at least looking at the pictures of my specimen but i would like to inform you that i’m doing my research work regarding the identification of the specimens that is why i surfed the net to look for information and pictures of invertebrates that might help me. As i said in my letter to the bugman, i have no standard taxonomic keys and other references about invertebrates that could help me identify the specimens. I surfed the net to research about the topic and find references and then I saw your site – thats when i thought that this site could be my reference and could help me identify the specimens. I even thought that it’s okay to send the pictures though they were considered critical information for my thesis. I still hope that i can identify the specimens with the help of internet.
But i still would like to extend my thanks for giving it a try and also for your time. Thank you.

Dear immediately,
We have posted several of your photos and you are free to post a comment to our readership requesting additional assistance.  Your other creatures are a Huntsman Spider and a Camel Cricket and Snails, but we have no idea of the species, nor did we have any luck, as you yourself have seen, with any information on cave dwellers from the Philippines.  Perhaps some experts will write in with identifications.  Again, you are advised to post a comment to the postings we have made with your photos as that will ensure that whenever someone writes in with information, you will be informed.

Ed. Note: Caves are habitats that may provide the isolation needed for the evolutionary production of unique species.  Perhaps we were a bit harsh in our original response to immediately who might be doing important research on what might turn out to be new species that are currently unclassified.  Since we are not scientists, we would prefer that professionals take the reins from here.  If you are able to provide any information on these Cockroaches or on the other specimens posted from Lanao del Norte, Philippines, please post a comment.

Location: Philippines

15 Responses to Cockroaches from the Philippines

1. mina says:

Up to now, I do not acquire enough and accurate information about these cockroaches.But i think these are not new species. anyway, i’m still hoping to get some information from the experts worldwide through internet.

• Ichthyian says:

Ahoy, do you still need the identification of these cockroaches? where in Lanao del Norte did you collect them.

Dear Ichthyian,
        Thanks for writing in. We hope you are able to assist “immediately”, AKA mina, with this identification. We would also like to post the identifications to our site, so should your research produce any usable results, please update us with a comment. Thank you for your time.

• Ichthyian says:

i do believe that the first two picture are of the same species “Ergaula capucina” or the beetle cockroach of the family Polyphagidae. cockroach 1 is a male while cockroach 2 is a female. cockroach 3 on the other hand looks like a nymph of “Ergaula”. I’m still not sure though, if possible, i would want to see the specimens myself.

Cockroach 4 and 5 looks the same, from the family Blattidae, though i’m not sure with the species. Again, i would need to see the sample personally.

I was just wondering, where in the Philippines were the samples collected?you see i’m a BS biology student who is studying the cave ecosystem with emphasis on cockroaches.

• Ichthyian says:

Dear Bugman
          I do believe that the first to samples are of the same species “Ergaula capucina” or the beetle cockroach of the family Polyphagidae. Cockroach 1 is male while cockroach 2 is a female. cockroach number three looks like a nymph of the same species, but i am not sure. If possible, i may have to and would want to look at the specimens personally.

Cockroach 4 and 5 looks awfully similar. From the family Blattidae though identification up to species is quite difficult if all i have are photographs. Thus, i would want to check the samples personally.

Also, i was just wondering, where were the sample collected from? As far as i know, there are still no reports of “Ergaula capucina” in the Philippines. And as a “speleoentomologist” as i would call myself, i may also want to visit those cave in the near future.

Ichthyian
          BS Bio, UPLB

Dear Ichthyian,
            Thanks for the information. We hope the person who submitted the original letter checks back so they can respond and assist you.

2. Ichthyian says:

ok, aren’t there any way to contact the person who initially submitted these images?
    Salamat.

Only if the person happens to check back on their posting. We do not maintain records of contact information. Sorry.

3. Darren says:

1, 2, 3 = Ergaula possibly capucina, though there are a few speciesin the region e.g. pilosa
    4, 5 = Periplaneta sp.

4. Electron says:

I have not encountered any article stating that E. pilosa is present in the country. though it may be possible since the distribution of the species is around Indonesia (Sumatra); Malaysia (Malacca state); Indonesia (Java Island); Borneo Island. What is present in the country (esp. Luzon) is E. carunculigera.

For the Blattidae, am working with few samples of somewhat same (morphologically) and identified it not as “Periplaneta” sp. but more of the “Dorylaea” sp.

5. IamDong says:

hey Im a BSbiology student too and we are writing a thesis about cockroaches in the philippines, specifically in luzon only. Can i ask the scientific names of the most common household cockroaches here? thanks a lot

6. Ichthyan says:

There are a lot of references that will lead you to that answer. If, for some very unimaginable reason you still fail to find it, look for cristian at the Museum of Natural History at UPLB

7. […] from the Philippines https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/11/…e-philippines/ just invade people's homes , eat the food , then worse **** all around , really disgusting leh […]