wolf or grass spider?
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
November 9, 2010 11:56 am
Hi Bugman,
I’m trying to get a definitive ID on this spider with spiderlings. I took it this summer (2010) at the Nature Center where I work. I’d like to include it in a presentation I’m working on.
It matches some photos I’ve seen of wolf spiders, and I know that wolf spiders carry their spiderlings, but it doesn’t have the really big eyes that I think of as typical for them. Maybe it’s a grass spider? Or something else?
I love your site–I look at it every day!
Thanks for all you do!
Signature: Curious spider fan

Rabid Wolf Spider with Spiderlings

Hi Curious spider fan,
This maternal behavior is consistent with Wolf Spiders and not Grass Spiders which look somewhat similar.  We believe this is a female Rabid Wolf Spider,
Rabidosa rabida, and you can compare your specimen with the images posted to Bugguide.

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Rabid Wolf Spider with Spiderlings

1. I’m curious as to how you are positive it isn’t a Dotted Wolf Spider. My understanding was that the pattern in the black stripe on the abdomen of a dotted wolf (or lack of pattern on Dotted) was the only discernible difference between the two. That portion is blocked by the spiderlings in this photo so I’m curious as to how you ID’d this as a Rabid.

2. bugman says:

We are not certain. We believe it is a female Rabid Wolf Spider. Thanks for introducing another possibility.