Seeking warmth in the garage
Location: Hatfield, MA
I found this beauty underneath my recycling bin tonight while putting out the garbage. I assume he/she was looking for refuge from the weather, as he/she was moving rather slowly as most insects do in the cold. We’ve had a few nights in the upper 20’s here already! The specimen was 1 1/4” to 1 1/2” in length, and was quick to hide after I moved the bin. In the photos, she’s crawling across my lawn mower; and spinning some web as she goes. Looks similar to some varieties of huntsman spiders, house spiders, garden spiders…etc. You guys would know better than I what this particular specimen is. Any ideas?
I thought maybe you’d appreciate these photos to add to your (impressive) online collection.
Signature: Kyle C.

Nursery Web Spider

Dear Kyle,
This is a gorgeous specimen of the female Nursery Web Spider,
Pisaurina mira.  She may be looking for a sheltered location to lay her eggs.  Nursery Web Spiders include the Fishing Spiders in the genus Dolomedes, and they are among the most protective parents exhibiting strong maternal behavior.  Should this beauty lay her egg sac in your garage, we would love additional documentation.

Location: Massachusetts