Wheel Bugs!
Location: La Fortuna, Costa Rica
Hello!
I have been meaning to share this picture with you for awhile but never got around to it. When I browsed through today and saw that the bug of the month is the wheel bug, I took it as a sign. I snapped this picture in the transistion forest at the base of the Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica. This was taken 3 years ago in 2007. I don’t know if this qualifies as bug love but that’s what it looks like to me. You run a really fantastic site. Thanks for your efforts!
Signature: Maria

Cog-Wheel Bugs mating in Costa Rica

Dear Maria,
Thank you for your kind words.  We are very excited to post your photograph and we wonder what other gems you may be withholding from us.  While it is obvious that this amorous pair is related to the North American Wheel Bug, the coloration is also quite distinctive, most notable the red coloration at the base of the coglike projection of the thorax.  The orange wings are also not typical of the North American Wheel Bug.  We decided to do a web search of the genus name
Arilus and Costa Rica and we found a google book entitled Latin American Insects and Entomology by the amazing Charles Leonard Hogue.  On page 223 is a line drawing of the Cog-Wheel Bug, Arilus carinatus, though there is no mention of the coloration.  We found some additional photographs online of the species on the Flickriver website, but again, the coloration on your specimens is different.  While we can rest assured that your mating pair is a close relative in the genus Arilus of the North American Wheel Bug, we cannot be certain of the Costa Rican species.

Location: Costa Rica

One Response to Mating Cog-Wheel Bugs from Costa Rica

1. drswanny says:

Quite possibly an undescribed species of Arilus.