California Trapdoor Spider
Location: Somoma County CA
Hi Bugman,
I found this spider on the wall next to my backdoor in the evening on November 5, 2010. I live in Southern Sonoma County in a rural area.
From your website I have identified it as a California Trapdoor Spider. Can you confirm that for me?
Signature: Gayle

Trapdoor Spider

Hi Gayle,
While we agree that this is a Trapdoor Spider, and you have indicated it was found in California, we do not believe it is a California Trapdoor Spider,
Bothriocyrtum californicum, because it does not match the photos on BugGuide.  We looked at other Trapdoor Spiders on BugGuide and it is our opinion that it more closely resembles a Tube Trapdoor Spider in the genus Calisoga.  BugGuide has many images of Tube Trapdoor Spiders in the genus Calisoga and they are all from California.

Thank you very much.  I hadn’t seen the “Tube Trapdoor” the first time around.  Thanks for the clarification.