My Devil’s Coach Horse thanks you!
Location: San Francisco, California
November 6, 2010 12:38 am
Dear bugman –
What’s That Bug is my first stop when I find myself exclaiming, ”what the hell is that?” at the squirming black mass my cat has cornered ’neath the table.
Though I had planned to send a somewhat-panicked missive asking you to identify said mass, I was able to easily identify him myself as a Devil’s Coach Horse (whom I also call Satan’s Change Purse).
But I thought you might like an additional photo of this guy for your site. Enjoy! My cat sure did. Just kidding, I put him back outside with a pat on the head and a nickel for his trouble.
Signature: Somewhat relieved

Devil's Coach Horse

Dear Somewhat relieved,
The European Rove Beetle commonly called a Devil’s Coach Horse is not a native species in North America, but it has become well established on the West Coast.  This is a highly active beetle in both the adult and larval stages, and the Devil’s Coach Horse does not go through a dramatic metamorphosis with the adults retaining many of the characteristics of the larva, though it is uncertain if it is considered a larviform imago.