What’s This Bug?
Location: NE Ohio
My friend found this in his home and I tried to identify it for him, but nothing similar is in my insect guide. Any idea?
Signature: Thanks, Derek

Flat Red Bark Beetle

Hi Derek,
It is a flat, red beetle and it has the common name Flat Red Bark Beetle,
Cucujus clavipes, because, according to BugGuide, it is:  “Found under the bark of ash and poplar, especially recently felled trees” where it is “presumably predaceous on other arthropods.

4 Responses to Flat Red Bark Beetle

1. Amanda says:

Thank you for this site!! I am also in NE Ohio and just saw one of these crawls across my dining room floor…

2. Scott says:

I had one crawling around my arm In Columbus Ohio the web sit that id him stated he was a local to Canada and Alaska. Not sue why there here the seem harmless enough.

3. Shannon Mitchell says:

we came upon a nest of little red beetles coming out of a gopher hole; all sizes spreading out along the path. Some attached to other ones by their hind area, moving along. Big ant size.
    when we came back down the same path a half hour later there was no sign of them or the nest.
    They seemed to have been leaving the nest if I could guess, heading into the grass.
    Now we feel like we witnessed some special event.
    I didn’t have a camera unfortunately. Any ideas? We’re in Los Angeles.