Cricket?
Location: Sierra Nevada mountains, Spain
I took this photo last week, 2,550 metres up in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Andalucia. Can you tell me what it is, please?
Signature: Pat

Shieldback Katydid

Hi Pat,
This is some species of Shieldback Katydid and though they are related to true Crickets, they are classified into distinctly different families.  Sometimes the common name cricket is applied to a Shieldback Katydid like the Mormon Cricket that is found in western North America.  We will contact Piotr Naskrecki to see if he is able to provide any species information since he is an entomologist who specializes in Katydids.  We can tell you that because of her swordlike ovipositor, she is a female.

Update from Piotr Naskrecki
November 7, 2010
My e-mail regarding the Spanish katydid must have gotten lost, somehow; I sent the ID a couple of days ago. In any case, this is a female of Pycnogaster, possibly P. gaditana, judging by the shape of the pronotum (Tettigoniidae: Bradyporinae).
Cheers,
Piotr

Location: Spain