Walking stick from Eastern Washington
Location: Yakima, WA
November 2, 2010 11:17 am
I was surprised to find a couple of these Phasmatodeans in Eastern Washington. Do you think they live in sagebrush or the shrub elm I found them near. If they hadn’t been blow onto the pavement, there would be no hope of finding them. Real short antennae.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=293596&id=748938972&l=6a428cfa4a
Signature: Paul Huffman, President-for-Life, Moclips Surf Club

Western Shorthorned Walkingstick

Hi Paul,
Your Walkingstick photo is quite nice.  We believe it is a Northern Walkingstick,
Diapheromera femorata, which is found in nearby Alberta Canada, according to BugGuide and your image matches an image posted to BugGuide that is identified as a Northern Walkingstick.  According to BugGuide, they feed on “Foliage of deciduous trees and shrubs, especially oaks and hazelnuts” so we would hazard that your individual was more likely feeding on the elm than the sagebrush.

Correction
Once Paul wrote a comment on the length of the antennae, we realized that this must be a Western Shorthorned Walkingstick,
Parabacillus hesperus, which is illustrated on BugGuide, though its range is listed as California and Oregon, and not as far North as Washington.

Location: Washington

One Response to Western Shorthorned Walkingstick

1. MajorGeek says:

I considered Diapheromera femorata, but the two specimens I have found have really short antennae, not “2/3 length of body” that Bug Guide states.