What’s this bug
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
November 1, 2010 3:06 am
I was walking along when I saw this thing, it looks like a giant ant, it was well over 1.5 inches. I was wondering what it was, and my friend said it could be _____ (spanish name) and that it’s poisonous and if you see its tummy, it looks like a baby’s face. Is this true?
Thank you!
Signature: Kitty

Potato Bug

Hi Kitty,
We just posted a letter yesterday of a Potato Bug sighting.  These are legendary insects in Southern California and they are also found in numerous other locations in western North America.  The recent unseasonal rains is causing them to emerge from their normally subterranean burrows, making them more visible.  There are many superstitions regarding the Potato Bug, which is also known as the Jerusalem Cricket.  In Spanish it is called Niña de la Tierra or Child of the Earth and it is not poisonous, though it does have strong jaws and could theoretically produce a painful bite.  They are not dangerous.