Swimming insect? in Pak Chong, Thailand
Location: Pak Chong, Thailand
October 25, 2010 10:20 am
Hi. This thing is swimming in our pond in Pak Chong, Thailand, a mountain/jungle region in North Eastern Thailand. It’s several centimeters long, and seems to have 6 legs that it uses to swim. Hangs out both under water and on the surface. Not sure if it’s some type of dragonfly nymph? Any ideas? Thanks.
Signature: macnmotion

Water Scavenger Beetle Larva

Dear macnmotion,
This is the larva of a Diving Beetle, most probably a Predaceous Diving Beetle.  They are sometimes called Water Tigers.

Thank you for the very quick reply. So the ones in our pond look much younger and less developed than some of the photos I’m seeing. I guess I can expect changes to be upcoming.
Will this larva begin to eat the small fish in the pond (1 cm)? So far these things hang out near the light at night and have made no move to attack any fish as far as I have seen.
Thanks. Andy

Hi again Andy,
Water Tigers will eat small fish.

5 Responses to Water Scavenger Beetle Larva

1. mardikavana says:

I agree that this is an aquatic beetle larvae but this looks more like a Water Scavenger Beetle (Hydrophilidae) larvae. Dytiscidae larvae have well segmented bodies (segments are very distinctive), legs are longer and jaws are longer and narrower but this larvae has short legs, sluggish type body (segments are hard to see) and the jaws are short and wide.

2. Eric Hicken says:

I had a small tank of tadpoles several years ago, and caught a very similar larva in filling the tank with pond-water. It didn’t take very long for just a single larva to completely erradicate my poor tadpoles, it certainly was an impressive display of micro predation.

3. Sibyl says:

Would a water scavenger larva attack a small newt?