No time for a photo.
I took a 2-mile walk this morning.  Unfortunately, one of my neighbors had fired up one piece of his heavy machinery.  So instead of walking in the quiet woods in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountians and breathing in the fresh morning, mountain air, no birds were singing and diesel permeated the air.
As the front-loader was headed toward me, I saw some movement on the old, dirt road: a wooly bear!  It was solid black (and heading north!).  I picked it up, even though I knew better, and set it up on the embankment, curled tightly, as high as I could reach.  No ill effects, I’m pleased to report.  There was no time to get a photograph; I, too, had to get out of the way.
This wooly bear was solid black, so I’m not sure if it was a young Isabella Tiger Moth caterpillar or a Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar.
Thanx for listening,
R.G. Marion
10/18/10
Cosby, TN
P.S. Your book finally arrived, and I’m thoroughly enjoying it.  Nice job!

Dear R.G.,
Thanks for letting us know that you are enjoying Daniel’s book.

One Response to Woolly Bear Fanmail

1. Bonnie Schwartz says:

I found all black fuzzy caterpillar, I thought it might be a woolly Bear with out the red stripe! Thanks to your web site I found the answer! Thank You 🙂 B. Schwartz