Little red guys near ant hills
Location:  Lake Forest, CA (South Orange County)
We found these tiny guys hanging out around ant hills on a trail on a foggy day. They’re so small that at first I thought they were seeds, and I think the only reason we noticed them was because we were studying the ant hills. They were slow and varied in size. The biggest ones were about 1/3 the size of a lady bug. They seemed to cluster together but the ants did not seem to take any interest.
Signature:  Jason and Lizzie

Unknown Hemipteran Nymph

Hi Jason and Lizzie,
The identification of unknown Hemipteran nymphs from blurry photographs is a difficult venture, but the information you provided about the ant hill should prove very helpful.  Right now we are confident that your Hemipterans are in the superfamily Pentatomoidea, which is well represented on Bugguide.  The likeliest candidates are Ebony Bugs in the family Thyreocoridea (see BugGuide) or Burrowing Bugs in the family Cydnidae (see BugGuide). We have been unable to quickly locate any symbiotic relationships with ants.  Perhaps our readership will be able to uncover additional information since we must rush off to work for now.

Unknown Hemipteran Nymphs