unusual bug in Hawaii
Location:  Maui, Hawaii
October 17, 2010 7:58 am
Aloha. I live on Maui and purchased a plant at Home Depot a few days ago. The time of year is currently mid-October. Today I noticed what I thought was a discolored leaf, and when I went to pick it off, I was startled that it felt like a moth. It was a very beautiful insect with its wings spread and I quickly grabbed my camera and took a few shots. It was green and white with a wing span of about three inches or more. I have never seen anything quite like this and can’t seem to identify it. Do you know what this green and white flying insect that I found in Hawaii is? Mahalo.
Signature:  Diana in Hawaii

Puss inspects Oleander Hawkmoth

Hi Diana,
It seems your puss is quite enthralled with this lovely Oleander Hawkmoth,
Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii.  According to Bill Oehlke’s website, Sphingidae of the Americas, the Oleander Hawkmoth is an old world species found in “the southern Mediterranean region, North Africa and the Middle East to Afghanistan” and “In 1974, this species was recorded as having established itself in Hawaii.”

Oleander Hawkmoth