What is this bug?
Location:  Offshore Angola, West Africa
October 13, 2010 12:51 am
i met this beuty in an oil field located about 75 nautical miles off the coast of Angola. It is 5-6 cm. long.
Signature:  Geir

Unknown Sphinx Moth

Hi Geir,
We are going to post your letter and photo of a Sphinx Moth first and then try to identify the species.  Sphinx Moths or Hawkmoths in the family Sphingidae are strong fliers and we are not surprised it was found out to sea.  Perhaps if we are not successful with a species identification, our of our readers will be able to supply an answer.

Hi Daniel and Geir:
I believe your moth is the aptly named Verdant Hawkmoth (or Verdant Sphinx Moth), Euchloron megaera (Sphingidae: Macroglossinae) It ranges throughout Africa and Madagascar. Regards. Karl

4 Responses to Verdant Hawkmoth from Angola

1. Steve Carras says:

Interesting that this was brought up:

5 days after [readers, see date posted by “Geir”], also on a ship, in the Norwegian Star Cruise Ship, in Columbia, a five spotted or similiar hawkmoth was found on the stern, on the swim deck. Myself and some others noted “that big moth
    ! ]10/18/2010].

2. muatinte says:

Hi Daniel, Geir and Steve
    I have frequently seen this moth here in Mozambique at Inhaca Island. Finally I took a photograph June 20th, 2013 at night, here at University Eduardo Mondlane building. It is really a beauty. Please see the image.