can’t seem to send in a question….
October 8, 2010 10:59 am
I’ve bought your book and am looking forward to reading it. However, I have a problem sending in a bug ID: I’ve attempted three times now in the last month, and it does not seem to be arriving as I have not seen it posted. Is there something I am doing incorrectly, or do you have an answer? It is a very interesting cooperation between two caterpillars here in Western Montana. The little caterpillar collected pebbles and stuck them on the larger caterpillar using the larger caterpillar’s sticky excretion, making a pebble cocoon. A few friends and I would love to know more (I have have attempted to send a series of pics, with no success).
Dorinda
Signature: Djorinda

Dear Djorinda,
We apologize for not responding to your earlier emails, but Daniel has been quite busy lately and it is impossible for him to personally respond to the mountains of requests that arrive to our website each week.  Often a catchy subject line works, one that grabs his attention, like your subject line did today.  We might not have responded had your headline not caught Daniel’s keen eye, causing him to open it and write back.  We cannot come up with an identification from your description, unless the little caterpillar was really the cast off exuvia of the caterpillar or other larva before the current instar.  We would really love you to resend the photo with a headline like “Pebble Encased Caterpillar” and Daniel will will attempt an
Identification.