Mr Four-Eyes
Location:  Los Angeles, CA
This red/black spider was busily walking around the tips of Canna leaves and dragging a silk line after it. It must be very aware of its environment because it noticed me from relatively far away, stopped what it was doing and then even turned to face the camera some two feet away (see the first picture). Any closer and it’d go hide behind the leaf.
Based on the large front eye pair and its behavior, I think this is a Jumping Spider, is that correct ?
Signature:  Laurentiu

Jumping Spider

Dear Laurentiu,
You are absolutely correct that this is a Jumping Spider in the family Salticidae.  It is in the genus
Phidippus, and based on BugGuide, it is in the insignarius group.  It looks nearly identical to a specimen from nearby Pasadena that was identified on BugGuide as being Phidippus adumbratus, however, it also looks nearly identical to a picture in Charles Hogue’s Insects of the Los Angeles Basin that is identified as Phidippus formosus that is not represented on BugGuide.  Perhaps there was a taxonomy change.  Hogue provides this information:  “Both sexes spend the daylight hours wandering over the ground and vegetation in search of small invertebrates, upon which they may leap from some distance.  Because they are so active, they often wander into houses, where they attract immediate attention (and cause undue concern) with their bright color and rapid movements.”  Your photos are wonderful, and they nicely show the typical eye pattern of Jumping Spiders.

Jumping Spider