Look What the Cat Dragged In
Location:  Hout Bay, Cape Towm, South Africa
October 5, 2010 2:07 am
I was horrified this morning when I got out of bed and saw this creature – brought in, thoughtfully by my kitten.
I can’t even begin to describe how disturbed I am by the look of this thing. Please tell me WTB?
Signature:  Amy

Parktown Prawn

Hi Amy,
This King Cricket,
Libanasidus vittatus, is commonly called a Parktown Prawn in South Africa.  The Academic dictionaries and encyclopedias website reports:  “The Parktown prawn is typically omnivorous, feeding on slugs, snails and cutworms as well as vegetable matter. They have been seen feeding on dog food, dead birds, as well as dry oatmeal and fallen fruit. They are also known to snack on wooden floor boards and wooden furniture. Gardens that have a high population of Parktown prawns will have almost no snails — thus, they can be considered an effective and natural form of pest control. Among their natural predators are the Hadeda Ibis and Helmeted Guineafowl, two birds in the urban habitat that are able to take on the considerable size of the Parktown prawn.”   Parktown Prawns are closely related to the Wetas of Australia and the Potato Bugs of western North America.  Parktown Prawns are believed to have been the inspiration for the aliens, called prawns, in District 9.

Thank you SO much.
You got back to me really quickly. Is there any chance you could fix up my grammar. Change “to” to “the” – as in: “I can’t even begin to describe how disturbed I am by the look of this thing. Please tell me WTB?”
THANK YOU!

One Response to Parktown Prawn from South Africa

1. 건혁 김 says:

It’s a Henicus monstrosus