Unidentified Orange Insect
Location:  Daytona Beach Florida (1 Mile From Coast)
I found these guys on a weed in my Daytona Beach yard … It is early October … They appear to be a nymph … probably some sort of the truebug category … I found a picture that id it as coreid nymph … when I goggled that … the images looked very different … I will send some photos … I need to know if these guys are harmful to home or garden … I gave up tomatoes,squash, and cucumbers as these attracted pests … I’m happy with the herbs and peppers in the garden and they tend to stay pest-free … these insects are on a weed away from the garden … so I’ve not disturbed … Please, if you could, advise me if I should remove them … thanks … Tany
(Below is the link that shows someone else’s photo of ”the bug”
2005/11/13/coreid-nymphs/
Signature:  Tanya Joiner

Giant Sweetpotato Bug Nymphs

Hi Tanya,
We agree that the link you provided is a match to your specimens, and we wish we had noticed you provided a link prior to our scouring BugGuide for the answer, because we did locate the Giant Sweetpotato Bug,
Spartocera batatas, on BugGuide after some searching.  At the time we posted the nymphs that you found on our site, they were unidentified, but now Julieta, an expert in Heteroptera with the USDA, has provided a genus identification for us and that is Spartocera.  According to BugGuide, the Giant Sweetpotato Bug is:  “Non-native, found in Surinam and some Caribean islands. First reported in the continental US in Florida in 1995” which makes it an Invasive Exotic species.  We believe your specimens may appear so red because they are freshly molted, meaning their color will darken.

Giant Sweetpotato Bug Nymphs