Flabbergasted
Location:  Capon Springs, West Virginia
I found this bug while on vacation… can you identify it? Is it even a bug? From what I can see, slugs have snails and caterpillars have… this guy. Or maybe it’s a small rodent disguised in fluorescent green armadillo shell? Haha…
This was found on a sidewalk in Capon Springs, WV around 9:30am. It’s about 3/4 inch long and 1/2 in wide. I got him (?) to clasp on to the twig and then he barely moved at all. Thanks for your help!
Signature:  ~Lisa

Crowned Slug Caterpillar

Hi Lisa,
Your logic about slugs was actually in the right direction.  This is called a Crowned Slug, but it is really a caterpillar,
Isa textula.  You were also wise to use a twig while handling the Crowned Slug as it is a stinging caterpillar.  The Crowned Slug is often found feeding on the leaves of oak trees, bug according to BugGuide, they will also feed upon the leaves of “cherry, maple, basswood, elm and beech.