Monochamus carolinensis?
Location:  Madera County, California
This awesome beetle flew into my chest today (9/24/2010), bounced off and into my camera bag. Luckily, I already had the camera out. I believe this to be Monochamus carolinensis but I am unable so far to determine the range of this beetle in any of the books we have nor on the internet.
Note: The beetle was encouraged to climb onto a feather I found nearby when it came time to close up the camera bag sans beetle.
We live in Raymond, California (Madera County) at around 1100 feet elevation. The terrain is oak savanna, with a good population of gray pine.
Signature:  Megan Ralph

Sawyer

Hi Megan,
While we believe you are correct that this is a Sawyer in the genus
Monochamus, we do not believe it to be Monochamus carolinensis.  Rather, we believe it may be Monochamus obtusus, a species represented on BugGuide from a single sighting in Oregon.

Thank you so much for the reply!  The link you provided does look a lot more like the individual I saw.  I sure appreciate your help and great web site.
Megan