Gulf Fritillary
Location:  Suburb North of Atlanta, GA
September 24, 2010 8:43 am
My son noticed this orange and black spiked caterpillar on our way into the zoo yesterday. After recently becoming alerted to the stinging power of certain spiked/barbed caterpillars like the saddleback from your site, I cautioned the kiddos not to touch this guy. I didn’t think I recalled seeing him on the list of stinging butterflies-to-be but caution never stung anyone. Sadly I did not have my real camera with me, but my phone grabbed an image I was later able to identify, I think, as the Gulf Fritillary.
Thanks to you guys when we also encountered a Sycamore Tussock inside the zoo I did know it was harmless. After much reassurance to my friend that I *knew* it was safe, I was then able to assist her young son in gently petting him.
I noticed you have many pictures of the Gulf Fritillary butterfly but not many of the pretty orange caterpillar. Maybe these will be of interest.
Signature:  Resa

Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Hi Resa,
Thanks so much for adding to our archive again by filling in a species that didn’t get much recent documentation.  We probably haven’t posted an image of a Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar since before our major site overhaul and migration over two years ago.

2 Responses to Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

1. tony says:

How do i get rid of gulf fritillary caterpillars?