Catapiller
Location:  St Marys Ohio 45885
I found this catapiller last weekend and I can’t find what kind it is or what kind of butterfly/moth it will make?
Signature:  Pat Striff

Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Hi Pat,
Just last week we posted another photo of this particular color morph of the caterpillar of an Achemon Sphinx,
Eumorpha achemon, which we had identified on Bill Oehlke’s website Sphingidae of the Americas.  Your caterpillar will metamorphose into a lovely Hawkmoth. Your photo nicely illustrates the caudal bump where typically the caudal horn is situated on most Hornworms, a common name given to the caterpillar of Hawkmoths.  Many of the species in the genus Eumorpha shed their caudal horns in the early instar stages of the caterpillar so the mature caterpillar is hornless.

Thank YOU sooo much for YOUR response.
I got several shots of this caterpillar and even got a movie of it on my camera. It was moving rather quickly across the road.
Now I will look up the Hawkmoth and see what it looks like.
Again thank you.

2 Responses to Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

1. Rob says:

I found one of these in my back yard in Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada. I’ve lived here over fifty years and have never seen one before, so I’m wondering if they are migrating north. We have seen Sphinx moths around here in the last few years but they pretty rare.