Found in back yard
Location:  Boynton Beach Florida
HI,
I found this beetle walking towards our air conditioner the beginning of this month, September. I have never seen a beetle colored in this manner and its nose looks like a type of weevil. The beetle was almost 1 1/2 inches long and I did not find it in any of the field guides we have in our home.
Please let me know what type of beetle this is and if I should be concerned if I find another.
Signature:  Thank you, Juel Richter

Palmetto Weevil

Dear Juel,
You are correct that this is a Weevil.  More specifically, it is a Palmetto Weevil,
Rhynchophorus cruentatus.  According to BugGuide:  “It’s natural host is the Cabbage Palmetto – Sabal palmetto, a palm native to the southeastern U.S.  However, adults and larvae associated with a WIDE variety of genera and species in the palm family Arecaceae.” BugGuide continues with this information:  “Larvae feed in the crown of the palm. If infestation is severe, the the integrity of the crown is compromised and the top of the palm falls over.”  The fat larval grubs are edible and considered delicacies.