Golden Orb Spider
Location:  Hickroy, NC
A few weeks ago you helped identify a Golden Orb Spider for us. We have enjoyed watching it spin and catch it’s prey. We just came back from a camping trip and went to check the back window for our friend. Her web has changed dramatically and there are 2 large brown sacks (each about the size of a large grape) hanging at the corner of the door frame. Would these possibly be egg sacks from our Golden Orb? Any thoughts?
Signature:  Dlee

Golden Orbweaver Egg Sacs

Dear Dlee,
You are correct.  These Egg Sacs were made by your Golden Orbweaver.  She may have died of natural causes or been eaten, or perhaps she just moved away, which explains why her web is no longer maintained.  The eggs will hatch in the spring, and hundreds of spiderlings will balloon off on the wind to be dispersed throughout the area.

2 Responses to Golden Orbweaver Egg Sacs

1. Luke says:

I found this thread by looking up what a banana spider egg sac looks like and it’s so awesome that your picture looks exactly the same and it is also the same day! I’m looking at my spider (her name is Theresa) right now here in Georgia and I was wondering what that mushroom looking thing was against the wall and figured it was her eggs. I’m sad she has to die she eats so many Mosquitoes but at least her babies will be here in the spring. Thank you for this thread and thank you for reading.