Potter Wasp

Potter Wasp beginning a new nest

Potter Wasp
Location:  Lakeland, FL
September 19, 2010 9:43 am
Not sure of the exact type of potter wasp. Yesterday, I watched her construct her nest and I guess lay the eggs inside. I am wondering how long before the new wasps will hatch? I use your site often for bug ID’s so I thought I would send you a couple of shots of this.
Signature:  Wendy Hicks

Potter Wasp Potting

Hi Wendy,
We love your excellent photo documentation of a Potter Wasp at work constructing her nest.  We believe this may be
Eumenes fraternus, one of the most common and wide ranging members of the genus.  According to BugGuide:  “There are at least two generations in a year, from late spring to early fall. Overwintering takes place at the prepupal instar, in the mud pots built by last generation mother females. Emerging adults will be the first generation of next year. Based on that, we suspect the adult will emerge in Spring, but since you are in Florida, you may not have to wait that long.

Thanks so much for the quick response!  Bug photography is a hobby of mine so I may send more photos thatI find interesting your way.
Thanks again!

Location: Florida