Giant Moth
Location:  Richmond Hill (Savanah) Georgia
September 16, 2010 2:48 am
This moth I found is huge and furry. Living in the woods and near a bird sanctuary I see many different creatures of many shapes and sizes but this one was simply amazing. Please let me know what type of moth this may be. It has been on the same leaf for 3 days now and I would love to know what type it is! In the attached photos I tried to get some what of a measure to display how huge this thing is and in the second one you are able to relatively see it and it’s size from a distance located on the left bottom half of this crape myrtle tree. Check it out!
Signature:  Daryll

Imperial Moth

Dear Daryll,
This is a male Imperial Moth.  Are you sure that the shrub it is on isn’t in fact a Camellia rather than a Crape Myrtle?

2 Responses to Male Imperial Moth

1. Daryll says:

Bugman,
    I am positive that the plant is a crape myrtle because my father-in-law planted it himself and he is a forester. Is this an unusual choice of plant for an Imperial Moth?
    ~Daryll

Since Imperial Moths don’t feed as adults, the plant has become a roost as opposed to a meal. In that sense, it is not unusual.