Centipedes from the Philippines Part 5

Tropical Centipede

Centipedes from the Philippines Part 5
Location:  Cebu, Philippines
September 15, 2010 2:29 am
Please help me ID these… Thank you!
Signature:  JY

Tropical Centipede

Dear JY,
Each of the fourteen photographs of individual Centipedes you sent to us in five different emails are Tropical Centipedes in the order Scolopendromorpha
We suspect that they are color variations of the same species or subspecies, and we are posting a representative sample from your photographs that demonstrate the diversity of coloration and markings.  We tried to search the internet and found a Scolopendromorph from the Philippines on the Arachnoboards forum, but the species is not identified.  Scolopendromorpha.com has a photograph of a specimen from the Philippines identified as Scolopendra subspinipes.  In our research, we did stumble upon a Philippine Tattoo Revival web page that indicates that headhunters from the Philippines had stylized Centipedes tattooed upon their bodies based on the number of human heads they had taken.  The site states:  “Kalinga men who killed two or more men had elaborate patterns applied to their arms and chests called biking, comprised of khaman (“head-axes”), ufug (“centipede scales”) and bodies of the centipede (gayaman), which were protective and spiritually charged symbols. The khaman design also covered portions of the torso, back, and thighs and centipede scales crossed the cheeks of the most successful warriors.

Tropical Centipede

Your final image, labeled A4, is not a Centipede, but a Millipede in the class Diplopoda.  Unlike predatory Centipedes, Millipedes feed on decaying plant material and they have two pairs of legs on each body segment while Centipedes have on pair of legs per segment.

Millipedes

Oh….. Hehe! I am really looking forward to i.d. these because my buyer from germany wants to buy some of them  but he will only buy them if i get it identified hehehe

Dear JY,
Now we are concerned that you may be a poacher.  Is it legal to collect exotic Tropical Centipedes in the Philippines?  Is it legal to export living Philippine Centipedes to Germany?  We were so incredibly touched by the image of the female Centipede cradling her brood that we fear that illegal collection may contribute to the demise of this noble creature in the wild on your island.