Giant moth seen in Ecuador
Location:  Milpe Eco Lodge near Mindo Ecuador
Attached are three photos of a giant moth seen August 21, 2010 at an eco lodge near Mindo, Ecuador. The moth was photographed at night as it was perched on wood wall and seemed to be about 8 to 10 inches from top to the tip of its tails. I believe it may be largest I have ever seen. I have named the month the Milpe Fantasma Moth since no one seems to know what it is.
Signature:  Gordon McWilliams

Copiopteryx semiramis

Dear Gordon,
Thank you so much for sending us a larger digital file.  The original file was only 9K and your subsequent file was 4368K, and increase of nearly 500X the resolution.  Our readership appreciates the clarity of your new image of what we believe to be a female C
opiopteryx semiramis  based on our identification using the World’s Largest Saturniidae Site.  The tails of the males are even longer.  An image may also be found on the Moths of Belize website.

Thank you very much for identifying this bizarre moth.  It was quite a shock when we first discovered it.  I have sent your ID info to the owner of the eco lodge.
Gordon McWilliams

You’re welcome.