caterpillar hissing?
Location:  houston, Tx a pocket general house
my mom found this caterpillar while doing my dads laundry what kind is it its all wiggly and naked it seems harmless but they claimed it hissed at her and my sister.
Signature:  i dont know

Possibly Walnut Sphinx Caterpillar

This is one of the Sphinx Moth Caterpillars in the family Sphingidae.  Your photo does not have enough detail to make a conclusive species identification possible.  The backward facing horn and the shape of the head indicate this might be the caterpillar of the Walnut Sphinx, Amorpha juglandis.  You can compare your individual to images on BugGuide or Bill Oehlke’s excellent website.  Many Sphinx Moth Caterpillars which are known as Hornworms are capable of making hissing noises when disturbed.

2 Responses to Sphinx Caterpillar

1. kathleen zullo says:

Catapiller on my grapevine.one eye in middle of head and a horn. Also hissed when touched. What is it. When on green leaves turns green. When on brown branches turns brown. Any help would be appreciated.