Beautiful butterfly
Location:  Belmopan, Belize
I saw this gorgeous butterfly right outside my front door. Any idea what type it is? It’s just amazing!
Signature:  Cindy

Gray Cracker

Hi Cindy,
Based on photos  on the Mariposas de Mexico website, w e have identified your lovely butterfly as
Hamadryas februa, or something closely related in the same genus.  It goes by the somewhat silly common name of Gray Cracker and the upsidedown pose seems to be typical of the species.  According to BugGuide:  “Males make a cracking sound with their wings to attract mates.

I just wanted to say thank you for your quick identification of my beautiful butterfly and an even bigger thanks for pointing me toward the Butterflies of Mexico site.  I can now look up butterflies on my own, without having to bug (pun intended) you guys!
Also, many thanks for having such a wonderfully fun site – please keep up the good work!  I hope to have some exotic creature pictures to send to you soon; we certainly have odd things here.
Again, many thanks!
cindy, in Belize