What beetle is this?
Location:  El Sobrante California
Found a bunch of these in our garage, Never seen them before. Its about 1.3 inches long (this one had expired)
Signature:  Peter Wallace

Eucalyptus Borer

Hi Peter,
Were you storing cut eucalyptus firewood in your garage?  This is a Eucalyptus Borer.  There are two similar species in the genus
Phoracantha (see BugGuide) that were accidentally introduced to Southern California from Australia and they have both become well established since their native food, the Eucalyptus trees, were extensively cultivated in California.  We believe your specimen is Phoracantha semipunctata.

2 Responses to Eucalyptus Borer

1. Pete says:

I had a bug appear on the upper inner right arm that apparently tried to bore into me. I have searched and found on your site, what I believe to be, a Eucalyptus borer. I’m in Miami Florida and the county is attempting to kill off all the Eucalyptus trees. This bug left quit a wound but now, on the inner lower side of my right arm, I am getting an itchy rash directly below and in line with the wound. The bite happened 03/21/2012 and the rash just began about three days ago. You say the bugs are harmless but this one doesn’t seem to be and I’m wondering if there is actually an effect from such a bite/boring. Can you enlighten me? I still have the dead bug.

Pete 02/26/2010

We are not qualified to diagnose skin conditions. The bite and the rash might not even be related. We would suggest seeking professional medical advice if you are concerned.