Unknown fly
Location:  Philadlephia, PA
I’ve had a bunch of these flies in my yard for the past couple of years. I’ve tried to find out what kind of fly this is on my own with out any luck. In fact, trying to I.D. this fly on my own is part of what led me to your site.
Sadly, my camera gave me a hard time with focusing on this fly, so I was only able to get this one picture before it became annoyed with me and flew off. I was hoping that you’d be able to help me I.D. it.
Dave

Picture Winged Fly

Hi Dave,
This is a Picture Winged Fly in the family Ulidiidae.  The species
Delphinia picta does not have a common name.  According to BugGuide , it:  “Breeds in decaying organic matter, such as compost.

One Response to Picture Winged Fly

1. Mortician607 says:

Thanks for your help.

“Breeds is decaying organic matter” isn’t a suprise to me. I’m a homebrewer, meaning I brew beer as a hobby, and keep a pile of spent grain next to my shed. These little guys started showing up right around the time I made the switch to all-grain brewing and started building up the grain pile.