Glacier Park Beetle
Location:  Glacier Park, Montana
We saw this beetle while hiking in East Glacier Park the first week of august 2010. On a leafy bush, as I recall. I’ve searched a bit for similar bugs and it looks a little like a cardinal beetle as mentioned in another post here – but not exactly. Can you help?
Debbie Thune

Elderberry Longhorn

Hi Debbie,
This identification began with two close color matches that were incorrect.  The coloration of your beetle resembles
Stenelytrana emarginata which is pictured on BugGuide and it also resembles the beetles in the genus Tragidion which are also represented on BugGuide.  In both cases, the texture on the elytra or wing covers was wrong.  Eventually we found a photo on BugGuide of a the species of Elderberry Longhorn, Desmocerus auripennis, that matched your beetle exactly.  There seems to be quite a bit of variation exhibited by this species if you compare the various images posted to BugGuide but there is a dearth of information included.  We have not been successful in finding out any additional information on your strikingly beautiful Elderberry Longhorn.

Thank you Daniel, I love what’sthatbug, just never had a bug to submit before!!

Well, you held out for a really good one.