wood wasp?
Location:  South Central Montana
OK, Riddle me this Batman, what looks just like a Horntail Wood Wasp but has no antennae? Instead it has a long probiscus like a moth. My friend found it walking on a pine log in a wooded area.
Tanya in Montana

Wood Wasp

a bug just sent you for id
Dear WTB I just not 10 minutes ago sent you 3 pictures of a wood wasp that wasn’t a wood wasp, as it has no antennae. Guess what? It’s a wood wasp! My friend caught it for me in a powerade bottle, and the antennae were glued together. I put it under a microscope to look more closely, and my husband said “Hey, they are just stuck together!”  Silly me, I’m sorry for wasting you time when there are REAL bugs that need identification! 🙂 Carry on with the amazing job you do. You are my favorite website.
Tanya in Montana

Hi Tanya,
Your series of emails amused us.  We believe you may have an image of the introduced Wood Wasp,
Urocerus gigas.  According to BugGuide and other websites, the introduced Giant Woodwasp:  “tunnels in wood. One of the most dangerous pests of conifers.

You guys are amazing! Just finding other people that love bugs like I do is so great. I hated to write in because I can only imagine how busy you all are. Thank you so much for taking time to answer my emails. sniff sniff I love you guys! 😀

Eric Eaton responds
Well, the scientific name, Urocerus gigas, is correct for the image, but I’ve never heard of it called the “Introduced Wood Wasp.”  My belief was that it is simply a “holarctic” species (meaning it is native to the entire northern hemisphere).